- About Us
- Our School
- Site Plans & Reports
Our mission is to provide a rigorous learning environment that is safe, caring and flexible so that our students can graduate high school prepared to successfully transition to college and career.
Alta Vista High School (AVHS) is an alternative high school in Mountain View serving the Mountain View/ Los Altos Union High School District (MVLA) and the Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD). AVHS has been honored four times by the California State Department of Education as a Model Continuation High School. This honor is akin to the California Distinguished Schools Program for traditional high schools, and is only given to the top continuation high schools in the state. Alta Vista High School has been fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) since 1999.
AVHS enrolls up to 150 students at a time, grades 10-12. Our students must meet the same graduation requirements as students who attend the traditional schools. All courses required for graduation are offered on site, including such electives as Yearbook, Art, Web Design, Computer Information Technology, and Health Science Careers. In addition to passing all required courses, students must complete an Exit Portfolio to graduate.
AVHS is for students who:
- Prefer a small school setting
- Have not found success in a traditional school setting
- Work best in flexible classrooms where students’ learning styles and needs are honored
AVHS is designed to:
- Enable students to graduate from high school prepared to attend college and career programs
- Allow students to complete required credits/courses to transition or return to a traditional high school
- Encourage students to take courses at a community college, adult education, or traditional schools
- Instruct and guide students who have unique needs and may need: independent study, work-study, or a modified schedule due to extenuating circumstances
- Provide special education services for those students who qualify
- Our staff includes one principal, two special education teachers, five general education teachers, four instructional aides, a part-time computer support specialist, a community resources coordinator, a mentor coordinator and an office manager. Additional counseling services are provided by the Community Health Awareness Council (CHAC), Children's
- Health Council (CHC) and Advent Counseling Services. Lucille Packard Children's Hospital's Adolescent Health Van visits our campus every month.
The following are just a few reasons why AVHS enjoys an ever-growing reputation as a quality school:
- Dedicated staff
- Smaller campus with small class size
- Mentor Tutor Connection (MTC)
- Advisory program: Academic support, college and career information/preparation
- Comprehensive counseling and health services
- Community partnerships with MVLA Scholars, Rotary, Kiwanis and other service organizations
- Concurrent enrollment opportunities
- Supportive school board and superintendent
Alta Vista High School – Where innovation is a daily practice.